1. Congdon N, O’Colmain B, Klaver CC et al. Causes and prevalence of visual impairment among adults in the United States. Arch Ophthalmol 2004; 122(4): 477–485.
2. Diabetes Control and Complication Trial Research Group. The effect of intensive treatment of diabetes on the development and progression of long-term complications in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus. N Engl J Med 1993; 329(14): 977–986.
3. UK Prospective Diabetes Study Group. Intensive blood-glucose control with sulphonylureas or insulin compared with conventional treatment and risk of complications in patients with type 2 diabetes. UKPDS 33. Lancet 1998; 352(9131): 837–853.
4. Rodriguez-Fontal M, Kerrison JB, Alfaro DV et al. Metabolic control and diabetic retinopathy. Curr Diabetes Rev 2009; 5(1): 3–7.
5. Early Treatment Diabetic Retinopathy Study Research Group. Photocoagulation for diabetic macular edema: Early Treatment Diabetic Retinopathy Study report number 1. Arch Ophthalmol 1985; 103(12): 1796–1806.
6. The Diabetic Retinopathy Study Research Group. Photocoagulation treatment of proliferative diabetic retinopathy. Clinical application of Diabetic Retinopathy Study (DRS) findings, DRS Report Number 8. The Diabetic Retinopathy Study Research Group. Ophthalmology 1981; 88(7): 583–600.
7. Ferrara N, Gerber HP, Le Couter J. The biology of VEGF and its receptors. Nat Med 2003; 9(6): 669–676.